Wednesday, August 21, 2013

How Did You First Start Making Soap?

I love hearing about how soapmakers first began making soap. I thought I would share some stories here from my Facebook fans. I would love to hear yours too!

Tanya from Titania's Dreamy Delights:

Handmade soap became my creative outlet in 2008 - the first one I ever had. Until I started soaping I believed I didn't have a creative bone in my body. Now I realise that everyone is creative and they just have to find the medium that 'speaks' to them in order to release it. I enjoy both creating luscious, mild soap recipes and playing with colour and shape to make something that satisfies my customers need for beauty.





Vicky from Maylilly's Garden Party:

One day back 2009 I was Internet browsing in my lunch break and accidentally looking at a page where you could buy a franchise and learn to make skincare. I thought "wow you can make your own?". Then upon further research I came across a supplies website and discovered you can make all kinds of skincare and bath treats! As someone who loved the body shop but never bought anything (too expensive), the idea of create your own was incredibly exciting lol. First thing I ever ordered was a melt and pour kit (along with some other stuff i can't remember). I actually thought that the soap would be the least exciting thing to make, but boy was I wrong! I seemed to have a knack at layering and found it to be rather rewarding. I had a little bit of a break (whilst planning a wedding, building a house and 2 pregnancies), but that didnt stop me watching my fave soapmakers on YouTube, or reading blog after blog, and I was finally able to get back into soaps and bath treats late last year. The love was still there hehe. I took the plunge at the start of 2013 and made my first cp. I don't get to make it as often as I want with two little girls running around, but that doesn't stop me romanticising about my next soap. I love the look of raw soap and of freshly swirled soap. I think about soap constantly. I dream of "winning the lotto" and I'd build a soap room, and I'd have a shop down in Shellarbour Village near the boat harbour. I am kind of getting there as I am planning to attend the markets there in a couple of months.

Annie from Sanctum Body Skin Soul:

The first soap I made was a castille style soap with an almost pure olive oil blend - I was stirring by hand and it took 3 HOURS to come to trace!!! Learnt very quickly about the joys of a stick blender!! I love essential oils and the fun of being creative - especially then being able to enjoy the end result like we can with soaps.







Christy from Sweet Treats Desserts:

Started in 2010 I wanted to be able to say I could make it but was scared to used lye. I just decided one day I was going for it, then got addicted. Took a couple of try's to get my formula right but after third batch started making a batch every other day. I think first batch was lavender.










Sue from Green Me Up Granny.

First soap was unscented and happened because I couldn't use supermarket soap. Now I am the grandma behind Green Me Up Granny and love making soap.














How did you first start making soap? Please feel free to share your story in the comments below! 

13 comments:

  1. Thank you Erin for sharing my soap story :-) . I also enjoy reading other soapmaker's stories on how they got started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is always a beginning to the "obsession!" I started researching how to make cold process soap several years ago after I learned that some gals with curly hair had great success using soap bars instead of detergent based shampoos. I was intrigued with the idea of making soap from scratch when I realized that the detergent based body washes I had been using for years were the explanation for the chronic itchiness of my legs and arms. Once I made that first one pound batch of soap, I was hooked.

    I enjoy the process of making soap - from formulating my own recipes, to seeing the amazing transformation of oils and lye solution becoming soap, to adding fragrance, color, and texture to the soap, to cutting the log into soap bars.

    It is so satisfying to hear a friend, family member, or customer rave about how wonderful my soaps are to use. So I make more soap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say the words "obsessed" or "hooked" in regards to making soap, I would be very rich! Lol. So true.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing! Love reading all the stories too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Tanya! Love that photo of your soap btw. x

      Delete
  4. Hello, this is not fair, through your blog I have to read several blogs more and I will go on forever and I want to make soap today.I come from republic of Panama.
    I taught chemistry in college and I'm retired, so making soap was an extension of my profession, but I had to teach a course of soapmaking to the natives of my country using coconut oil, and I was hooked. With my soap I eliminated my skin allergy. Now I´m selling the product and teaching public about my product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Lots of good soapmaking blogs here that's for sure. Wow, I love that!

      Delete
    2. Just saw your blog. Are you still making soap in Panama? I am also a retired chemist & my wife & I taught soapmaking in Panama last November & made soap for a medical mission trip there. Just made some soap from unrefined palm & palm kernel oils - very nice soap. Would be very interested in your experiences in soapmaking in Panama.

      Delete
  5. How fun! The soap seed was planted early in me--my grandmother made honest-to-goodness pork lard lye soap--and I thought it was the best thing in the world. It wasn't fancy, but I thought it was so much better than the store bought stuff--and it was! When she died, I set out to learn how to make soap, minus the pork lard, and haven't stopped since. Obsession is right, for there is no end to scent-design possibilities. I'll stop when I've tried them all. BTW--your soaps make me drool they're so beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy I've made soaps using lard before too, I think they're amazing! Thank you. xx

      Delete
  6. What a fun post! I really love hearing the stories of how people have gotten started with their love of soapmaking. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for including me on your blog

    ReplyDelete